Why Prepare for Disaster?
Disaster can strike without warning, forcing you to go for days without basic necessities or to evacuate your home. Relief workers will be on the scene following a disaster, but may not be able to reach you immediately. You could get help in hours or it might take days. This means you need to have your own food, water
Have an Emergency Plan
Having a plan is one of the most important steps you can take to prepare yourself and your family in case disaster strikes. Knowing what to do and how to do it can help your family manage disasters with less worry, fear
Emergency Plan Resources
- When disaster hits, Texans need to be ready. Texas Prepares has resources to build your plan - including family strategies, handy checklists, and special needs considerations for people with disabilities, the elderly and pets.
- A two-page form intended to help families document information necessary after an emergency.and
- A comprehensive list of suggested materials (PDF) to use in order to prepare for emergencies in one's home and for their families.and
- A comprehensive brochure explaining the key steps to emergency preparedness,
including:being informed, making a plan, building a kit, and getting involved.
- A unique brochure with information specific to Older Americans (PDF) and tips on how to prepare for emergency situations
- A unique brochure with information specific to Americans with disabilities (PDF) and other access and functional needs regarding emergency preparedness.
Dealing with Specific Disasters
Read through the following links to familiarize yourself with
Check out the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) new tongue in cheek campaign to promote emergency preparedness. If you are equipped to deal with a zombie apocalypse then you will be prepared for a hurricane, pandemic, or tornado.
Do you know about different kinds of weather events and other unexpected situations? The words and terms you hear during emergencies can be confusing. Here are some Web sites you can visit for more information!